Skip to content
Dan Bennett, PresidentNov 11, 20201 min read

CDL Test Administration Changes and FAQ's

Jeffrey Miller, the Chief Licensing Examiner at the NHDOS, recently shared that there are a few changes to types of vehicles allowed to be used for the skills and road portion of the Commercial License test process. The following FAQ's break down the changes that you need to know.

Can I use a vehicle with a Dealer plate?

Yes, as long as it is operated by a full time employee and in accordance with 261:111 Retail Vehicle Dealer's Use of Dealer Registration.

Can I use a Truck Tractor to complete the skills test for a Class B CDL?

Yes, but the truck tractor must have a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or greater. A cab and chassis will be allowed as well.

Are there any other restrictions on the vehicle that I use?

- Test vehicles shall comply with all New Hampshire inspection laws and rules.
- The vehicle shall provide the examiner with a permanently attached seat, which allows the examiner accessibility to vehicle control mechanisms.
Special thanks to Mary Beth Alosa of New England Kenworth and a NHADA Board Member for bringing forth these issues, and to DMV/State Police for the clarifications.
For questions on this article or these rules please email Dan Bennett.